Keith is a global IT leader, strategist and mentor with a reputation for building world-class teams to deliver or recover complex transformational programmes whilst improving operational performance in under achieving areas. He has a passion for continual improvement with significant experience across multiple industry sectors including Aviation, Banking, Energy and International Government bodies with disciplines ranging from the creation and operation of Enterprise-wide functions to the successful delivery of regulatory change and leadership of business units
Career highlights have included the ‘IT and Digital Enablement’ of new Heathrow Terminal 2, the transformation and migration of a FTSE-100 energy provider’s IT enabled services into a hybrid cloud environment including one of the World’s largest SAP estates with associated analytics, MI/BI components and operational procedure, creating operational savings of £15m per annum as well as the design and implementation of a continuous improvement framework into a Global Systems Integrator which provided a £31m reduction in bid costs and 11% margin improvement in its first year of operation
- Embedding continuous improvement frameworks and techniques
- Implementing crowdsourcing to drive out and generate solutions for business problems
- Defining and building balanced scorecards that can be aggregated for executive views on progress and improvement areas
- Recovery of projects and programmes that are ‘off track’ or failing to deliver the required outcomes
- Portfolio optimisation and enterprise-wide risk determination and management
- Stakeholder engagement
Chris has successfully held a variety of high profile and potentially high risk programme roles with organisations from the public and private sectors undergoing significant change including public sector mergers, acquisitions, transfer of services and shared partnerships across multi-site matrix managed organisations. He has considerable Public Sector Merger and Shared Service expertise across Central and Local Government Agencies covering speciality project delivery to NHS CCGs & CSUs and other Integrated Health related services including a CCG Statutory duties review in accordance with NHS Act 2006 including organisation risk profile for Executive directors.
Has a track record that delivers dynamitic changes in their marketplace, as a trusted pillar to existing executive teams, and has successfully engaged with all stakeholders to lead the development and deployment of the ‘Target Operating Models,’ to support: – staffing, accommodation, major process and impact of technology turnarounds – and importantly engaged positively with its people to guide them through the process of change.
A ‘Key Enabler & Mentor ‘ who has provided the leadership and strategy that facilitates organisations rising to the challenges of the new economic landscape against a background of public-sector cuts. Has successfully worked with key portfolio holders and the Executive to deliver Corporate Services transformation including across multi-site matrix authorities, and can provide examples of proactive engagement with employees including the unions and staff consultation groups to set the change agenda supporting working closely with their people to deliver greater value for money.
- Work has included providing the leadership and coaching of multi-agency teams particularly during challenging times of low morale and working within tight budgetary constraints. Importantly is also the responsibility for the efficient service migration programmes and decommissioning of services and the supporting contracts.
- Has delivered major transformational programmes including being a national lead for ‘Target Operating models and Alliance Contracting’, delivering service improvements, and increasing efficiency with many field based staff teams. Including back office integration, Shared Services, and streamlined Procurement.
- Credited by one authority as having:- ‘Successfully provided the leadership and strategy to complete on time and within budget the largest risk project the authority had undertaken in its history’. The success was credited to the ability to engage with the strategic stakeholders and operational delivery teams, and translate strategic objectives into operational improvement programmes, often in high profile and sensitive customer focussed environments.
- The programmes have delivered extensive efficiencies across all directorates and service teams has been described by the IDeA peer review team as ‘an exemplar’. Provides strong leadership support to his team and a Member of the Political Liaison Board, with experience of working with Government Ministers, plus non executives. Has lectured at Gov Expo since 2004 & Westminster Briefings to the House of Commons, and ACPO on public sector reform and transformation.
- A qualified project manager, including Prince2, ITIL & APQC experience, and an assessor for the Public Sector Excellence Model and ISO9000 lead auditor. On offer is an experience covering, advisor to The Commercial Sector plus Central Government Departments/ Agencies, NSPB`s, County, Unitary& District Councils Police, Fire & Rescue Services & NHS Commissioning & Primary Care Trusts, and public sector partnerships.
Nigel is an experienced respected interim Operations professional with multi-site delivery experience. He is a change and delivery expert who has worked at a senior level in both the Private and Public sector, including the NHS. Nigel combines these skills with extensive operational, stakeholder and change management experience in challenging environments.
He is able to transcend levels and work “hands on” at delivery level and has a range of strategic and hands on experience, which includes:
An expert in leading large scale and medium scale operations, a recent example being the National Pandemic Flu Service and NHS Direct as Chief Operating Officer, and in the past operated and led the National Rail Enquiry Service involving 2500 staff, 19 different employers and 43 locations. He also merged, as Operations Director the existing House of Commons operation into the newly mobilised new Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority on time and on budget.
Service change expert, improvement specialist which includes proven lowering cost per transaction, introducing commercialism, full life development of Operational teams from Customer identification, Segmentation, Call Centre performance improvement, Web integration, Customer insight and mapping to developing blueprint, business case, designing target operating models, commissioning, category management. Evidenced at the National Rail Enquiry Service, NHS Direct, Sussex Community NHS TRUST, CQC and several local authorities.
Motivational leadership of large multidisciplinary teams Call Centre including NHS, Customer Service, Operations, Corporate Services that include Finance, HR, Asset and property management teams leading operational change and IT transformation projects and programmes across Railways, Utilities, National & Local government, NHS, Housing and Private sector with budgets up to £60 million. Considerable stakeholder management experience at all levels including Central Government, Elected officials both National and Local, Communities, Academics and Clinicians
- National Rail Enquiry Service – 1st employee through the door and within 2 years had to transform an Aunt Sally service, which cost £60 million per annum, 2500 employees.
- Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority – the strategic development of the new MP expenses scheme and then the development and implementation of new operating people, processes and technology.
- Care Quality Commission – Application processes, frankly a shambles, no meaningful processes or systems to effect operational deliver. Reviewed the whole service from end to end and implemented modernisation agenda.
- COO – NHS Direct – £80 million revenue budget with 1500 staff.
- North Tyneside Council – Led a team whilst at WSP of “Best Value Review” looking across all delivery arms of the local authority with a view to designing a future state operating model that deliver improved service delivery at lower transactional cost.
- Connaught PLC, Complete review of their repairs business and their 51 maintenance contracts throughout the UK with the outcome of quickly designing and developing a model for future operations that reduced costs and improved service delivery.
Management qualifications, professional memberships, education & directorships
- Postgraduate certificate in Management Studies,
- PRINCE2 practitioner and certificate, MSP,
- NEBOSH certificate in safety management,
- PTLLS Teaching Cert Level 4
Jason operates as a leading authority in the highly specialised and complex area of cost transformation. Jason acts as a trusted advisor in defining long term affordability that everyone understands.
He architects and implements a series of initiatives and frameworks that are underpinned by world class tracking and an environment where cost conscious decision making is embraced and self-regulated as a new way of business life. Jason is a thought leader in designing cost transformation journeys and has published articles in shaping cost conscious cultures in academic journals. Jason has tailored a cost transformation academy which helps staff develop their commercial skills whilst shifting behaviours in line with a cost conscious culture.
Jason is the CEO and founder of Cost Transformation Limited, a specialist consultancy advising and delivering cost transformation – www.costtransformation.com
Jason also operates as a programme director leading change journeys, recovering failing programmes or running the portfolio office to schedule, track and steer the change initiatives so that savings are delivered. With 24 yrs. experience, Jason brings an ‘acute lens’ to perform ‘health checks’ and independent assurance to ensure programmes are ‘set up for success’.
Jason is a qualified ACCA accountant with a blended set of commercial and transformational skills developed in Industry and top tier consulting. Before founding Cost Transformation Limited, Jason was a member of EDF Energy’s senior leadership team and in Dec 2012 successfully delivered the company wide ‘Supporting Excellence’ cost reduction programme on behalf of the Executive Team.
Jason specialises in:
- Delivering Sustainable Cost Transformation & Strategic Cost Management
- Advising executives when to commence a transformation and when to transition to a business as usual operation.
- Builds HR & Financial commercial discipline to lead and assure cost transformation
- Deploys self-regulating techniques that enforce choices and prioritisation against affordability levels.
- Creating environments that embrace cost conscious decision making & ‘Enterprise 1st’ behaviours.
- Aligning operating models to business affordability including corporate centre rightsizing.
- Cost Segmentation that isolates non-value add addressable costs for removal.
- Optimising end-to-end efficiency for shared services, outsourcing and centres of excellence using innovative analytics that drive win-win improvements for all parties.
- Business case development and tracking cost savings against target cost baselines that ensure they are delivered.
- Coaching & mentoring behavioural change to budget holders through the cost transformation academy.
- Defining 5 year sales vision and transformations that build sales insight, capabilities, metrics and dashboards and systems that elevate an organization to world class sales.